I was recently adding an additional mapped drive to an existing GPO, and the drive would not appear no matter what changes I made to the various settings (Create/Replace/Update, adding a Delete first, setting this or all drives to show, etc). Frustrated, I started digging into the event viewer and found this error:
0x800708ca This network connection does not exist
Searching online for this error kept bringing up results where people were trying to get rid of existing mapped drives but were unable to, but that was the opposite of what I was after. Finally I ran across a forum thread where one of the troubleshooting steps a user mentioned was to check for spaces in the drive description. I didn’t have any spaces in the drive description, but that got me thinking. A quick glance showed the functioning drives paths did *not* end with a trailing slash, but the failing drive mapping did (see following example). I removed the trailing slash, ran
gpupdate on a computer, and the drive instantly appeared.